This lecture describes the fundamentals of reactor safety for both the operation and the decommissioning of nuclear power plants. The first part will be focused on reactor safety issues important for the operation of a NPP:
- Safety fundamentals as defense in depth, multi-barrier concepts
- Operational modes of nuclear power plants
- Main components for heat removal, safety systems of selected NPP designs
- Thermal characterization of the core and plant under normal operation conditions
- Accident analysis in nuclear power plants- initiation, methods of evaluations and safety implications
The second part of this lecture will be devoted to explain the neutron physical, radiation protection and safety aspects to be considered for the safe and economical decommissioning of nuclear power plants:
- Life cycle of a nuclear power plant and main strategies and challenges in the NPP decommissioning
- Physical processes responsible for the activation of reactor components during the operation of a nuclear power plant
- Radioactive waste generation in the core, classification and radiological relevance
- Waste classification, minimization methods and intermediate and final disposal
- Risk analysis and prevention, radiation protection issues and the regulatory framework for decommissioning
- Computational methods for the estimation of nuclei inventories, activation and dose rates of reactor components
Vorkenntnisse in Energietechnik, Kernkraftwerkstechnik, Reaktorphysik, Strahlenschutz wünschenswert
Präsenzzeit: 30 Stunden
Selbststudium: 90 Stunden
mündliche Prüfung; Dauer: ca. 30 Minuten
Bibliography related to the Block Course “Fundamentals of Reactor Safety for the Operation and Dismantling of NPPs”
- M. Laraia, “Nuclear decommissioning: planning, execution and international experience”, Woodhead Publishing (2012).
- “Radiological Characterization of Shut Down Nuclear Reactors for Decommissioning Purposes”, IAEA Technical Report Series No. 389
- “Classification of radioactive waste”, IAEA Safety Standards No. GSG-1.
- “Innovative and Adaptive Technologies in Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities”, IAEA-TECDOC-1602.
- “Planning, Management and Organizational Aspects of the Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities”, IAEA-TECDOC-1702.
- “Managing Low Radioactivity Material from the Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities”, IAEA Technical Report Series No. 462.
- “Safe and effective nuclear power plant life cycle management towards decommissioning”, IAEA-TECDOC-1305.
- “Radiological Characterisation for Decommissioning of Nuclear Installations”, NEA/RWM/WPDD(2013)2.
- “Proceedings of the ICOND16/International Conference on Nuclear Decommissioning”, October 2014 (Aachen, Germany).
- M. Cumo, “Experiences and Techniques in the Decommissioning of Old Nuclear Power Plants, Workshop on Nuclear Reaction Data and Nuclear Reactors: Physics, Design and Safety”, 25 February – 28 March 2002 (Trieste, Italy).
- “Safety considerations in the Transition from Operation to Decommissioning of Nuclear Facilities”, IAEA Technical Report Series 36.
- “State of the Art Technology for Decontamination and Dismantling of Nuclear Facilities”, IAEA Technical Report Series395.
- “A review of the situation of decommissioning of nuclear installations in Europe”, European Commission Report EUR 17622
- “Radiation Protection Ordinance”, (http://www.bfs.de).