- Safety analysis of advanced reactors
- Prevention and mitigation strategies in nuclear facilities
- Neutronic development of fast systems
- Multiphase and multicomponent flows
Projects and cooperation
- Cooperation with European and international partners for the development of the SIMMER-Codes
- Safety analyses of ADS (e.g. MYRRHA), fast reactors (e.g. ESFR) and molten salt reactors (MSFR) for EU HORIZON 2020, IAEO and bilateral projects.
- Simulation of experiments, especially for subcritical systems (e.g. KUCA) for IAEO projects
- Safety of advanced fuels for ADS and fast reactors for EU HORIZON 2020, OECD/NEA and bilateral projects.
Multi-physics code systems for safety and dynamics of nuclear systems:
- SIMMER-III and SIMMER-IV: Accident analysis systems for the simulation of accident scenarios in advanced reactors, including severe accidents.
- KIN3D neutron kinetics model for ultrashort transients in subcritical systems, integrated in ERANOS: simulation of experiments for monitoring subcriticality in ADS.
- Deterministic methods such as ERANOS and PARTISN for neutron transport.
- Monte-Carlo Neutron transport (MCNP) for validation of deterministic methods.
- KORIGEN and C4P-TRAIN for long-term phenomena, burn-up, radioactive decay, residual heat, radiotoxicity, preparation of multigroup neutron cross sections for SIMMER, COUPLE and other codes.
- COUPLE: for analyses of operating conditions and design-basis accident scenarios in molten salt reactors.
- Fuel Performance Codes: Fuel behavior under normal and accident conditions.
Fig.1. Simulation of End-of-Life-Experiments in Phenix (IAEO Project): Power distribution in the plane after control rod movement.